Support a Smokefree Future
Show your support for a Smokefree Future
Recently, the Government launched a UK-wide consultation to stop the start of new smokers – as a vital first step to create a smokefree generation.
Tobacco remains the single most important preventable cause of ill health, disability, and death in the country, responsible for 5,700 deaths in Greater Manchester each year and more than 24,000 hospital admissions to treat smoking-related illnesses. No other consumer product kills up to 2 in 3 users.
- Most smokers start as teenagers with 83% smoking before the age of 20
- Three quarters of smokers would never have started if they had the choice again
- Smokers who start younger have higher levels of tobacco dependency and suffer a worse risk of lung cancer and heart disease during their lives
- 8 in 10 Greater Manchester adults support ending smoking – including half of smokers – with a target of fewer than 5% smoking by 2030
The Government has launched an eight week consultation across the UK to discuss proposals to create a smokefree generation, and to address youth vaping.
Here’s how you can get involved:
- Submit your response to the consultation.
- Write to your MP using our letter template for Directors of Public Health – see resources below.
- Show your support in the media using our PR and social media guide – see resources below.